Saturday, May 20, 2006

More Excitement (posted by Steve)

The "made of meat" blog entry has dropped off the page, so time for more excitement.

A few months back I successfully entered my mid-life crisis stage by buying a sports car. My only criteria was that it had to have a long name. My new car is a Subaru Impreza WRX STI.





I had never seen an STI on the road before my purchase. But now I see them all the time. Coincidence or just paying more attention? You be the judge. I've seen three on the road in the past two days. Shortly after I bought the car, I parked next to another STI at the bagel place.




Of course, the car is great fun to drive. Tim took the car out for a spin with his oldest nephew as a passenger. I received a report from Dale that Tim had performed some "maneuvers". I will leave it up to the imagination of the faithful blog reader as to the nature of these "maneuvers".

Sometimes fun can lead to unhappiness. After almost 27 years of driving, less than a month of STI ownership, I received my first traffic ticket. 75 mph in a 65 mph zone, stopped by the CHP. Was it the color or the giant trunk wing that attracted the CHP's attention? Why wasn't I paying attention when the CHP car was behind me tracking my speed? What is the proper answer to the question, "Do you know how fast you were going?". So now I need to attend an online traffic school so that my insurance cost doesn't go up. And I need to watch my speed on the freeway, which sucks when minivans are passing me. But that doesn't stop me from beating Ferraris from a stoplight! There's no law about accelerating to the speed limit very quickly.

No comments: