Friday, April 16, 2004

Result of Doctor Visit

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier (and am too lazy to go thru the archives to find out), but I recently got a new Doctor and went in for a physical as well as with a concern that I might have high cholesterol.

The Stanford Blood Bank will do a rough cholesterol screening on blood donated. Rough because it is just a single number (not a break down of the various types of cholesterol) as well as not a "fasting" measurement. I have given blood at least 4 times over the last couple of years and the cholesterol level was always high.

Today after my appointment, it has been officially confirmed. My total cholesterol is 259, HDL (good cholesterol) is 36 (low), and LDL (bad cholesterol) is 150 (high). In the high risk group for heart disease.

Therefore I have been given another motivation to continue with my new exercise routine.

Because of the high level, she doesn't believe exercise and diet changes are enough to lower my cholesterol to a healthy level therefore I get to take Lipitor (20mg) once per day.

Every thing else that was checked is A-OK (including my prostate).

I will have my cholestrol checked again in 3 months. Look for future update.



No comments: