Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Informal Coin Collecting

I have started to collect at work from my daily change all of the new state quarters. How many has been release so far? I am curious to see if I am able to get one of each simply by paying attention to my change.

My impromptu collection:

1976 Bicentennial - I always enjoy finding one of these.

State Quarters in order of State Year:
1788 New Hampshire
1788 Virginia
1788 New York
1790 Rhode Island
1791 Vermont
1792 Kentucky

Also Samantha got four very interesting pieces of money recently. Look for that entry in the very near future along with a small story.

5 comments:

Steve Everett said...

I also like collecting the bicentennial quarters. I have a cup of them. I also collect the "wheatie" pennies, the ones that say "ONE CENT" on the back instead of the Lincoln Memorial.
I received one of these in change just last week.
Not sure how many state quarters have been released. Dad is the expert on that.

Dad, Bill E. said...

So far 23 state quarters have been released. They are in order DE,PA,NJ,GA,CT-1999. MA,MD,SC,NH,VA-2000. NY,NC,RI,VT,KY-2001. TN,OH,LA,IN,MS-2002AND SO FAR THIS YEAR IL,AL,ME, WITH MO TO BE RELEASED SHORTLY AND AR TO FOLLOW. WE ARE HALF WAY THROUGH THE TEN YEAR PROGRAM AT THE END OF THIS YEAR. I HAVE MADE A BOOK FOR YOU TIM WITH ONE UNCIRCULATED P MINT AND D MINT ALSO WITH BOTH THE PROOF COINS ONE CLAD AND ONE SILVER.

Tim said...

23 of them??? It will be interesting to see which ones I can find in circulation. 6 found in every day change, 17 to go.
I have 3 from the 2000 series and 3 from the 2001 series. My prediction: the next one that I will find will be also in the 2000 or 2001 series.
Is each state quarter having the same size of production?

Bill E. said...

No they have different amounts depending on the need. I think the the D mint mark Maine is the lowest from Denverand the P mint Ohio is the lowest of all.

Tim said...

Quick Update: New state quarters received in change are in bold.
1788 New Hampshire
1788 Virginia
1788 New York
1789 North Carolina
1790 Rhode Island
1791 Vermont
1792 Kentucky
1812 Louisiana