Wednesday, August 06, 2003

Steve E.'s Summer Book Reviews

It's been a very productive reading summer for me so far. Here are the reviews of the books I've read this summer, in priority order of enjoyment.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
Have you always wanted to read a book about dead bodies? I didn't know that I did, but I found this book very entertaining. Be warned, it's not for the squeamish. The first chapter opens up with plastic surgeons practicing face lifts on dead people. That may not sound that bad, but you should be aware that the whole body is not needed for this practice. This may seem paradoxical, but the author writes in a very funny and witty style, but maintains respect for the dead bodies. I also enjoyed her visit to Wayne State University, where researches were doing crash tests with cadavers. At one point, the author finds herself sitting alone with a cadaver, who was slouching in the chair. She writes very poignaintly about what it's like to hang out with this dead body. Here's an excerpt:
"By and large, the dead aren't very talented. They can't play water polo, or lace up their boots, or maximize market share. The can't tell a joke, and they can't dance for beans. This is one thing that dead people excel at. They're very good at handling pain."

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
Bill Bryson is one of my favorite authors. For example, I highly recommend A Walk in the Woods. In "A Short History", Bryson covers nearly every aspect of science, from the Big Bang, black holes, geology, and evolution. It was great learning how scientists first measured the Earth's weight. It was even more enjoyable reading about the scientists, who were often quite wacky.

Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith by Jon Krakauer.
This book is really three stories, weaved into one book. A history of the Mormon religion, a survey of Mormon Fundamentalists, and a true crime story about two fundamentalist Mormon brothers who are told by God to kill their sister-in-law and infant daughter. Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon religion, got his start as a diviner, a seeker of buried treasure using his magic stone. One night an angel appeared to tell Joseph Smith where to find buried gold plates with sacred text. Smith eventually dug up the plates and translated the text by using some magical glasses and his trusty magic stone. Things got a bit more controversial when for Smith and the Mormons when God commanded them to take on multiple wives. Eventually the mainline religion disavowed polygamy, but the fundamentalist splinter groups follow this command to this very day. An exellent book because I learned about the history of the Mormons, pondered over questions about the brothers' murder trial, such as where's the line when religious faith crosses over into insanity? I also highly recommend Krakauer's other books, Into Thin Air and Into the Wild.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Dale, Sharon, and I read the first four books and we read this one too. Fun summer reading. I wish Harry wasn't such a grump in it though. And for a fee, I'll tell you who dies...

Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game by Michael Lewis
I liked it. Probably only interesting to big baseball fans, particularly Oakland A's fans. The story of how Billy Beane, the Oakland A's general manager, built a powerhouse team on a low budget, by going against conventional baseball wisdom. Now only if they could win the World Series!

Prey by Michael Crichton
It's unclear why I bought this book. Perhaps the low price at Costco attracted my attention. OK reading if you have nothing else to read. I still remember Tim's review his previous book, The Lost World. Tim said it seemed like Crichton wrote it in a weekend. I think with Prey, he probably took at least a week. What's more interesting than the book however is the fact that Tim and I both were convinced for a while that Michael Crichton was dead. All indications are that in fact he is very much alive. With that said, I still have a recollection that he's seven feet tall.

2 comments:

Tim said...

The first non-TimE posting!!
I have been thinking about doing the same type of entry but just haven't gotten all the books together that I have read so far this summer.
I took a couple of years off from reading books but have been trying to read at least 30 minutes every day.
The last book that I finished was "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". For such a thick book, I felt the story really didn't advance much as well as no growth of the characters.
I was proud of myself that I didn't use the Internet (Google) to learn which character dies in the book. Though I have to admit, knowing that a character was going to die spoiled my reading of the book. I found myself trying to guess, is it going to be this character, is it going to happen in this chapter, etc. I think that caused for me a sense impending doom even though J.K Rowling didn't write that sense into the story.
Steve and mine "Michael Crichton was dead" belief always reminds me of the movie Escape from New York with the line "Plissken, I thought you were dead"
Also something completely off-topic, I have changed the site configuration to allow html code to be embedded in a comment. It was turned off, which didn't allow you (if you know how) to create links like I did in this post.

Sandy said...

Great book reviews! The South Bend Tribune still carries book reviews of "normal" regular readers, but I watched a CSPAN show of the nation's top newspaper book editors, of which, by the way, there are very few, which was the point of the show. In order to save money, due to less ad pages, newspapers are cutting out book reviews. The premise of the panel was to make the case on why they are necessary and vaulable to the citizenry. Very enlightening even to a librarian journalist!
Anyway, Bryce has LOVED Bryson's book that Steve sent him(the Short History of ...). Unfortnately, he loved to share the exciting, humourous (to him) tidbits he enjoyed (at least one per page) with Sandy every night while she was trying to read other materials and/or watch her new favorite show, the Daily Show with Jon Stewart as she wanted to concentrate on the comedians skewering Bush and the Republicans! He also loved Tuxedo Park, something about inventing bombs for the war that was highly recommended that Sandy got him for his birthday. She was asked to send it to Steve, immediately upon his finshing it. As she didn't prioritize the mailing right away on her "to do" list, some grumpiness ensued daily upon his checking on it. After finally packaging it for mail, and remembering it to be placed in the van, then remembering to take it in to the post office, Meghan was home and said, don't waste time stopping to mail that, "I will take it to Steve when I'm back in San Jose for teaching, that way save money." All this sounds logical, however it did not meet with Bryce's satsifaction when he inquired, yet again, about it's mailing. He believes Meghan will forget it in the press of her busy social life. Cousin Steve might want to offer a friendly inquiry if he sees/hears from her. Parental questions are often met with disgust, boredom, grudges etc.
Both Bryce and Sandy, however, strongly recommend the book "Devil in the White City" (B's mom has it now and I can't remember the author's name) which came out in Feb. this year, I believe. It is about the first Chicago World's Fair in tandem with the first serial killer in the U. S. who happened to be a U of M Med. school grad. It is exciting as a mystery, as an historical record, as a police/crime thriller, etc. It is non-fiction and we couldn't put it down! The MidWest in competition with the East Coast as the country was expanding west, etc.
Sandy also loved Seabuscuit! A best seller from two years ago she finally got around to reading. it is a jillion times better than the movie, though the movie was okay. And, it's nothing to do with horse lovers, or loving horse races, etc. It is about losers in life--horse and man, and how they converged to succeed in one moment...the back stories on man and horse, history of the time, how jockey's train is endlessly fascinating. I could not put it down. You easily do not want to leave the protagonists lives. It is mystery, adventure, biography, memoir, and poignant, all in one.