Saturday, August 16, 2003

Computer Safety

With all of the news about the mblaster worm, I though I would mention the two to three important things to do that will help keep such things as viruses and worms from infecting your computer.


  • Keep your Operating System up to date by visiting WindowsUpdate. On the site, click on "Scan for updates". You should install all "Critical Updates and Service Packs".

  • Use an Anti-virus program. I use Norton Antivirus. There are free antivirus software that is available. Let me know if you want links to the the free software. The key is to have the software installed, update the virus definitions weekly and run a full system scan at least weekly.

  • If you are connecting to the Internet via broadband (DSL or Cable), you need to use a firewall (either hardware or software). The software I use is called ZoneAlarm. A firewall will make your computer appear to not even be on the Internet.



Since I am running a firewall as well as a webserver, I see evidence every day of viruses and worms roaming the Internet looking for a computer that is vulnerable. Even if you connect for only a minute, a minute would be enough for you to get infected if you are vulnerable.

I think of the Internet as a neighborhood. Even though I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, I am not going to leave my front door wide open (whether I am at home or not). In fact, my doors tend to be locked at all times.

The Internet is a "not so nice" neighborhood. Please make sure you don't leave your "doors" wide open. If you are concerned that you don't know what to do, let me know. I should be able to walk you thru it.

No comments: