Friday, July 25, 2003

Recent Movie Reviews

Explanation of Star Rating:
5 Stars: Amazing movie, would watch it every time I happened to see it on TV.
4 Stars: Top notch movie, exceed expectations
3 Stars: Solid enjoyment/entertainment
2 Stars: OK movie, wished it was better, didn't meet expectations
1 Stars: Hated it, upset that I spent money on it.

BTW: In my system, there is no half star... If you have half stars, then why not quarter stars, and on and on

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl:
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines:
Finding Nemo:
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle:
The Hulk:
The Matrix Reloaded:

The best movie in the last month hands down is Pirates. I didn't have high hopes for this movie. The idea of basing a movie off of a ride didn't sound like it would make for good entertainment but they pulled it off and more.

The movie included many scenes that was very familiar to fans of the ride, but was done in a low key manner. A friend of mine has never been on the ride, and had no clue that certain scenes were homages (if that is the right word) to the ride. I found that a little odd, but I guess not everybody has been fortunate to have been to Disney World twice (thanks Sandy and Bryce) and to Disneyland at least 5 times (thanks to Steve and Sharon for my first visit to Disneyland).

The Hulk was ok, wished more time was spent on simply having a very anger Hulk ripping into things...

A quick ranking of Marvel Superhero movies:
1. Spiderman
2. X2 (the second X-Men movie)
3. X-Men (the first one)
4. Hulk
5. Daredevil

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Just checked in and caught up on the additions to your site...once again, it is very good and user-friendly. Such thoroughness!! I'm impressed Tim!!
Can you now guide Bryce through fixing our printer? It works fine on tests alone and copying, but won't take the signal from the computer to print.
I agree with many of your movie reviews, except Pirates is rated a bit high, I think. It was better than expected and I loved Johnny Depp's performance, but, really, the ending was stupid, don't you think? And why the endless sword fights at the end when they couldn't die until the necklace was back in the chest" Good for action scenes but extremely low on logic and plausibility!
Did you see Seabiscuit? Read the book, which was great...a little history, sociology, mystery, sports all in once, so was looking forward to movie with high expectations. It was good, but, NOT as good as the book...they hardly ever are...
Don't you think Toby Maguire looks like Steve? The facial structure? Am I the only one who thinks this?
I'm also a Reese Witherspoon fan, but haven't seen Legally Blonde II yet..I think I missed it already. Did you see it?
Did you watch the Black Adder tapes we had? Rowan Atkinson is the British star. He is in a new one called Johnny English which we heard about when he was on Leno, so we went to see it. Bryce and I kept wondering why there were so many kids at the movie. It had a few moments of fun, but, it was sort of a lame James Bond satire. When Meg called to wish me happy birthday, Dale, Ben, Lily and Amber also visited with me and Dale told me the movie had been advertised non-stop on Nickleodean and the WB! Oops...guess B. and I missed the target audience for that one!
So far no big blockbusters this year...hopefully Lord of the Rings III will be it.