Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Getting Old (or just Maturing)

What does the title mean? Well...

This summer seems to be the summer of concerts for Samantha and I.

So far we have been to two concerts, with another four concerts on the horizon. The first concert we ended up getting tickets roughly 13 rows from the stage at Shoreline Amphitheatre.

It seems like my musical taste are changing, maybe not changing, but for sure evolving.

The concert headline was Kenny Chesney. Kenny Chesney is a country music version of Jimmy Buffet. He puts on a great show, very high energy. His band included at least 3 guitar players, a couple of drummers, a fiddle player, two piano players, and a person that played the triangle. Ok, there wasn't a triangle player... Kenny looks like a young guy in his cowboy hat, but upon closer observation, I made the determination that he must be in forties.

Also opening for him was Deana Carter and Keith Urban. Two young and upcoming stars in the "hip country music" scene. Sam was very happy because at the end of the concert while the band was playing, all three of them walked across the front of the stage, autographing and shaking hands. Of course, she was right up there in the thick of it.

The most recent concert that we attended was the Dixie Chicks at the HP Pavilion (formely called Compaq Center and informally called the "Shark Tank"). Sam had worked her magic and we ended up 8 rows from the stage. Also a very good concert. My main observation is that the lead singer is short and the other two are very petite.

Sam's highlight of the concert was that after the show finished she was able to get the laminate set list that was on the stage. She also was able to get a few autographs from the band, but not any from a Dixie Chick. BTW: I didn't see a triangle player at that show either.

You know... maybe I am not getting old. A new theory is that my musical tastes are easily influenced. The next show that Sam and I are going to be seeing is Joe Jackson. The previous two shows were influenced by my wife, Samantha. That is very clear to me.

Joe Jackson is an artist that I first heard via Steve. Steve's influence also makes an appearance on the last concert of the summer.

On my birthday, Sam and I hope to get tickets to see the Dead. Essentially the Grateful Dead minus the dead Jerry Garcia. (A Samantha influence for sure)

The very next night, probably with my ears still ringing, we will be seeing Alabama. Initially I thought they were the singers of "Elvira"... but very quickly realized my mistake.

The concert I am looking forward to the most is the last one currently planned... James Taylor. The first time I have ever really paid attention to who he is was because of Steve purchasing his Greatest Hits Album. I remember Steve talking about the "ribbing" he got when he purchased it. Never quite understood that, the album that he should have gotten the most grief on is Air Supply Greatest Hits.

I am getting older (of course) but that isn't changing my musical taste. I have simply been easily influenced... I do owe Steve a lot of credit for keeping me away from bands such as Abba, Village People, or other 70's disco bands.

I am able to resists some influences... Samantha has tried hard to convince me that the Osmond Family and K.C and the Sunshine Bands are good.

I will keep you updated on my search for the triangle player.

Tim

3 comments:

Mom said...

Yahoo, finally!!! It was worth the waiting.
The picture is especially good. Again, it brings back some very happy times.
So far, all of your musicals choices sound really good. I envy you seeing the Dixie Chicks. They are one of my favorite groups.
Hope to see more in the future.

Steven A. Everett said...

I vehemently deny that I *ever* had an Air Supply album or that I will *ever* own one. I know, I know, Tim will probably claim that I bought it at Orchard Park Mall when we were there for the ping-pong tournament :).
The best thing about my musical world is that my kids like all the same music that I do. What a surprise! Lately they've really been into the Beatles. It's kind of sad that two of Ben's favorite groups (The Who, The Beatles) are down to 50% of their original membership.
Speaking of Joe Jackson, I just purchased his latest album, but haven't had a chance to listen to it much (crowded out by the Beatles). He recently put out a live album, Summer in the City: Live in New York, that's excellent.
In regards to disco, I must admit that I kind of like the Bee Gees music from Saturday Night Fever.
Sharon and I haven't been to any concerts. But we did go see the play "Guys and Dolls".

Tim said...

I distinctly remember that Air Supply Greatest Hits album.
My memory tells me that it was in the Fargate Circle house... I just assumed it was something that Steve and Sharon enjoyed together. :)