Monday, July 12, 2004

Back Home Again

Last Wednesday, I had to fly to Stamford CT for work. I got home last night around 9:30 pm.

This was the first trip that I flew into John F. Kennedy International Airport . Stamford is roughly 40 miles from the airport so it isn't too bad of a drive.

I am always impressed by the sheer size of the Empire State Building. Not just how tall it is, but also how massive it is. It does truly stand out in the NYC skyline. I can only imagine what the World Trade Center Towers would have looked like.

The drive to Stamford also took me by the location of the New York 1964 World's Fair. The location at the end of Men in Black movie. The Unisphere and the New York State Pavilion were easily viewable from the highway.

Driving by the location was also interesting because on this trip I read the book "Devil in the White City". An interesting book on the events of the Chicago World's Fair in 1893.

I wished I would have read the book prior to my last visit to Chicago. The Hyperion User Conference party was held at the Museum of Science and Industry. A building from the fair that was essentially rebuilt to be a permanent structure. I would have liked to have seen the lagoons and the wooded island that Frederick Olmstead fought for.

Small California sidebar: Frederick Olmstead also designed Stanford University.




1 comment:

Mom said...

I read the Devil in the White City and really enjoyed it. It was recommended by Sandy. We thought it was unique because the doctor in the book graduated from U of M. Plus the history of the Chicago Fair. It was hard to believe that they could do all that they did in constructing the fair buildings. It is too bad more of them did not survive.