Monday, May 24, 2004

Airport Fairy was smiling on me

Back in good ol' San Jose for a week.

Thought today was going to be a crazy flying day for me because of the weather in the Midwest.

My flight out of HPN (White Plains, NY) to ORD (Chicago, IL) was delayed for a little over an hour. Leaving me with 15 min layover in Chicago.

The time was 3:15 pm when I got off the plane in Chicago, the time that my flight to SJC was supposed to take off. I had already resigned myself to catching the next flight in 4 hours, but I figured I would "power walk" to the gate just in case. Of course, my arriving gate was halfway across the airport from my departing gate.

One screen listed a new departure time of 3:20 pm (and it was that time)... the next screen I passed didn't list the flight, therefore I stopped in the bathroom for a small detour.

I continued my walk, the next screen listed 3:25 pm (and it was that time), but I just kept striding. I made it to the gate and I believe my luggage was already on the flight because when they heard my name, they were able to slide me onto the plane. Before they heard my name, I was not going to be able to get on the plane.

I had the same experience on my flight to CT... like I said the Airport Fairy was looking out for me. Nothing like getting off one plane and immediately on the next.

The other interesting thing about this flight is I sat next to a San Francisco 49'er by the name of Matt Stanely.

I wouldn't have known who he was.. but the lady sitting in the row had asked him questions like "Where do you work?" "What do you do?" Seemed like a good guy.

BTW: the BirdCam is functioning again.

1 comment:

SteveE said...

Tim, someday you need to explain your application of "power walking", including the benefits and hazards.
My brush with greatness happened last Friday night. I went to a school event at Amber's school and Todd Harvey was there. (Todd Harvey is a forward on the San Jose Sharks, for those few non-Sharks fans out there). His son goes to the school. I actually sat diagonally across from at dinner. But I didn't have a clue on what to say to him and plus he was talking to a buddy and didn't seem that interested in chatting with others, so I sat there like a dope. Friday night would have been game 7 of the Western Conference championship if the Sharks hadn't lost the series in game 6. While I was sitting there like a dope, I was thinking I should say, "Gee, I bet we both would rather be somewhere else tonight, like say San Jose Arena.". Or "I see you've shaved off your playoff beard, I bet that sucked."