Saturday, November 15, 2003

Thanksgiving Recipe??

I was checking out my college website and I have been tempted to attempt the below recipe though I am not sure anybody will eat them with me. Thankfully I tend to have an iron stomache because I sure do enjoy spicy food.

B&B's Pickled Egg Recipe
Ingredients:
2 dozen hard boiled eggs (peeled)
4 cups vinegar
1 jar or can jalapenos
1 onion
1 cup water
1 tablespoon tabasco
1 tablespoon salt
Directions:
Bring ingredients to a boil. In sealable jar pour over peeled eggs. Let sit for 3 days to 3 months. Shake once a day while chanting "Yah--eggs are great, eh?". Serve with salt, pepper, Tabasco, and a beer...(doesn't have to be a Gilt Edge)


B&B is a local Houghton bar that my friends and I would occasionally visit. It tended to be not crowded (meaning no wait for the pool table). Spent many of nights, drinking Bud light (my beer of choice in my early drinking days), having a couple of pickled eggs, and shooting a few games with the gang.

Though since it was usually empty, I had to listen to my friend's musical taste (Tracy Murchison). Not that his musical taste were bad, just very repetitive. If I remember right his song of choice one year was Willie Nelson's City of New Orleans. He would play that song at least once every visit if not multiple times in a single night.

Reminds me of a bar that Paul Greenway and I used to hang out in Lafayette CA, called the Round Up. Essentially we didn't leave until we heard Sweet Home Alabama by Lynard Skynard. That song must have been the unoffical theme for the bar. Though we usually left because the bar would be closing, so there tended to be a few hours of opportunity for the song to be played.

Many many humorous stories that start with visiting the Round Up...




2 comments:

Rachel Miller said...

Thanks for the recipe! I just graduated from Tech last May and am now in the Twin Cities area, dying because I can't find a single pickled egg! The B&B's were the best!!

Pat said...

I have tried the recipe and it is awesome. I miss the B&B Pickled Eggs and this is extremely cose if not the real thing. They would be better if I could find a 7 oz. Miller High Life bottles for salt and pepper shakers and if Linenkugel still brewed Gilt Edge.
C'est la vie.
pb..