Sunday, August 20, 2006

Computer Troubleshooting



Last night I updated my laptop with many Microsoft security updates. Following the required restart, my laptop refused to connect to my wireless network. It kept failing via WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy).

My first immediate thought was a few choice swear words, second thought that followed very quickly was that the updates caused the problems. Since connecting to my wireless network worked just fine prior to the security updates and reboot.

I made sure my Tivo was still able to connect successfully and it was, thus the wireless network was fine. After a few more choice swear words, I decided I had enough "fun" for the night. Turned off the laptop, watched an episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force, and then fell asleep.

Woke up this morning and decided to give it another try. I had decided to try the "let it cool down" theory of computers. Hoping the problem would fix itself over night, surprising enough, that theory does work a fair amount of the time. It didn't this morning.

With a night's worth of sleep and only 10 minutes of thought (and only a couple of choice swear words this time) I had a new theory. The theory was that my laptop was trying to connect to another wireless network. After some poking around on the laptop, I determined how to force my laptop to connect to my home network rather than searching for any wireless network.

Magically, it connected and the world was back to normal, sun shining, birds singing...

No comments: