Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Mind over Matter


"There have always been people who have said that we could make ourselves better by positive thinking,” says Dr. Michael Selzer, professor of neurology at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine from Placebo's power goes beyond the mind

I have joked many times that I was too orney (stubborn and mean) to get sick. I definitely think that concept does help me to fight off being sick. Not fool proof, I still do get sick, just not that often.

I also believe I can make the conscious decision to be happy. To not allow negative thoughts to rule my life.

Making that conscious decision to be happy has been a challenge for me over the last few months for various of reasons. Some days I am up for the challenge, some days I am not.

It is always helpful for me though to get some confirmation that my "I control my happiness" theory isn't completely a "whacky" idea of mine.

Here is a book that I read years ago that I still have on my dresser in my bedroom: You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles Your Therapist Never Told You

No comments: